U.S. Air Force ROTC FAQs
Thank you for your interest in UNC Charlotte’s Air Force ROTC Detachment 592, home of the “Flying Niners”! These frequently asked questions will answer many of your questions regarding our program.
- Be a full-time student (12 semester hours minimum) at a school that hosts AFROTC or has an agreement with a nearby school that has a crosstown agreement
- Must maintain a College CGPA of 2.0 or higher
- Must be a United States citizen or able to become one before scholarship activation or attending Field Training
- Must attend required AFROTC class, Leadership Laboratory and Physical Training (minimum attendance rules apply)
- Must have good moral character (drug use, arrests, and financial irresponsibility are not acceptable)
- Must meet required physical fitness standards
- Minimum age for Enlistment is 17: Most cadets must commission by age 31 (up to age 35 with waiver)
- Currently, Detachment 592 serves several schools. Refer to our Crosstown Page for more information.
- In order to be admitted into our program, the potential cadet will need to meet the requirements stated in this overview and be accepted to UNC Charlotte or one of our “Crosstown” schools.
U.S. citizenship prior to the end of sophomore year
Medically qualified (DoD Medical Evaluation certified)
Meet Air Force height & weight standards
Pass the Air Force Fitness Assessment (FA)
Type 1 - Uncapped tuition and most fees
Type 2 - $18,000/yr tuition and most fees
Type 7 - In-State tuition* (less than $9,000/yr) and most fees
Type 2 - $15,000/yr tuition
Type 3 - $9,000/yr tuition
Type 6 - $3,000/yr tuition
Open to college freshmen and sophomores in any major
Cadets are nominated by cadre and do not apply
Additional Scholarship Information
- For additional information on the High School Scholarship Program (HSSP), click here.
- For additional information on the In-College Scholarship Program (ICSP), click here.
Refer to our Program Requirements Page for details on the courses for Four, Three and a Half, and Three Year Programs
PHYSICAL FITNESS TRAINING
No credit hours, 1hr in length, must attend at least two of the three opportunities offered each week (Mon, Wed, and Fri: 0600 - 0700). On occasion, all three are required.
- Fitness Assessment is four events: Abdominal circumference measure, 1 min push-ups, 1 min sit-ups, & 1.5-mile run
- Scoring based on gender/age with minimum component requirements; 75 points to pass
- All cadets attempt the Fitness Assessment at least once each semester
- Your Fitness Assessment score will be a criterion used towards Field Training selection
- Click here for more info on fitness assessment standards
- Directions to Memorial Hall
- For details on Air Force careers and more AFROTC info, please visit http://www.afrotc.com. For general Air Force ROTC questions please click here.
- If you are interested in learning more, please call the AFROTC department at 704-687-8100, or by email firstname.lastname@example.org for an appointment.
**If you have intentions to enroll, please be advised that other classes may NOT interfere with your attendance with the AFROTC program schedule.